Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Why Discipline Is the Key to Results

What is discipline? I truly love the first definition on the internet I found: Discipline is the practice of training people to obey rules or a code of behavior, using punishment to correct disobedience. PUNISHMENT! My male child mind goes to an image of myself reaching for a delicious cupcake with a shock collar on. Honestly I wish I got a little shock sometimes walking by the pantry thinking about the snack cakes my pregnant girlfriend keeps in there. I have said this before: “You will not eat it if it’s not in the house.” 100 percent true but If you think for one second I am cutting snacks off from a mother-to-be, think again. So we adapt, and work harder on our personal discipline.

There are so many different forms of discipline in life and many ways that discipline can be intervened into your daily practice for better living. When I stay disciplined as far as my diet goes, my overall health and physique are in prime form. I promise a well-rounded diet is the key. Many times I have fallen off my well-crafted diet and gained double-digit pounds. Then again, many times I have turned that flab into fit. I know what it takes – discipline.

The discipline I talked about first with the cupcake reference is what they refer to as corrective discipline, not something I want to raise a child on. In life, a great practice to work on is preventive discipline. Now if you are a school teacher, this is done with students in a different way. Educators will take to avert misbehavior by keeping students engaged. By preventive discipline, I simply mean is keeping yourself engaged on a routine schedule where discipline can be practiced and we can prevent failure.

The hardest thing for me about discipline is staying motivated. For clients and also myself, motivation comes from results. When you see your body start to transform for the better, you get motivated to keep going. The cookie dough ice cream doesn’t look so good when you remember the work you put in. Sorry, that last sentence was a lie; cookie dough ice cream always looks good.

Set Goals and Have a Deadline

One of the most effective factors for keeping me in the gym is that I have goals and set workout routine deadlines for them. You might get yours from a personal trainer, the internet, or a friend. The main point is that you have an end-date in mind which you are aiming to finish the program by and you have a clear idea of what exercises you need to complete each day you’re at the gym. Added on that should be a nutrition guide. Staying on a personalized diet is where the true disciple plays a part. This way, going to the gym has a purpose. This is better than feeling like the gym is a chore that you will simply have to do forever without a point. Make sure you always have a goal with an end-date.

Write Down Your Goals and Look at Them

Your pursuit of self-discipline must be proactive and positive. Let’s not just talk. Back up your talk with actions. Write down your goals and envision them into existence. Seeing them on paper will hold you accountable for your actions. Too many people rely on others to help them get things done. Learn to depend on yourself. At one point in my life I had a future board on my office wall. It is a large paper with goals and dreams on it. There were pictures on it so I could envision and see my goals come to life and over the years that has happened. I still don’t have that lambo but I can not imagine putting a price on the happiness I have today.

Learn to Make Sacrifices

Learn to make sacrifices to reach your goals; you’re going to have to pay a price. This price might be as simple as skipping a snack, or as difficult as missing a gathering with friends and family. A little indulgence can lead to major slip-ups. For myself a little indulgence turned into gaining 20 pounds of pure fat during the COVID pandemic. I let my discipline go. You only need a few undisciplined moments to spiral down. Instead of feeling like these sacrifices are making you miss out on things, see them as gains. Gains toward your inner strengths, gains toward your ability to distance yourself from the weak. Each sacrifice is a victory for your self-discipline. Stay disciplined, get shredded, and help others.

The post Why Discipline Is the Key to Results appeared first on FitnessRX for Men.

Read More


--------------------


By: William Brower
Title: Why Discipline Is the Key to Results
Sourced From: www.fitnessrxformen.com/nutrition/tips/why-discipline-is-the-key-to-results/
Published Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 21:52:58 +0000




No comments:

Post a Comment